REEP Green Solutions is an environmental charity that helps people in Waterloo Region live sustainably. Our current focus is on residential energy and water efficiency, managing rain where it falls, and reducing waste. Many of our programs and services are delivered using a social enterprise model.
REEP House for Sustainable Living is REEP Green Solutions’ demonstration home and education centre. This super-insulated, water-wise century brick home is located at 20 Mill Street in downtown Kitchener. The home demonstrates a variety of home improvement and landscaping options. High-performance technologies, renovation techniques, and stormwater management strategies provide improved home comfort, increased durability, beautiful design, and reduced energy and water waste. The gardens demonstrate natural landscaping that is beautiful too, and helps to manage rain where it falls.
Objective of Position:
The REEP House Garden Animator is both a knowledgeable gardener and an engaging teacher/mentor. She/he draws people in to learn about rain and native species gardens and gardening basics by engaging volunteers in maintaining and improving the gardens and landscaping features at the demonstration house located at 20 Mill Street.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the REEP House Facility Manager, take the lead in keeping up the REEP House gardens and lawn in front and back to demonstrate to the public the relationship between landscaping and the principles of energy efficiency and water stewardship;
- Lead a team of volunteers in keeping the gardens beautiful and the permeable paving operational at the REEP House, through weeding, pruning and maintaining the native plant garden, rain garden, front yard garden and permeable driveway;
- Recommend and execute a plan for upkeep of the small areas of lawn in the front, back and sides of the house, and along the fence line, in keeping with our energy and water goals.
- Engage and educate volunteers on the design and utility of rain gardens, to raise awareness of their importance and how they can improve our communities
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Communication skills to engage and educate the public about the gardens;
- Basic gardening skills;
- Good organizational skills and ability to engage and mentor volunteers;
- A passion for sustainable gardening;
- An understanding of native plants;
- An interest in using gardens for storm water management.
Organize 1 or 2 work parties as needed, primarily in the spring, and for fall clean-up.
An average of 1-2 hours per week from spring through fall for maintenance.
Note: This may be considered as a shared role, so if you are interested in one aspect of the position (landscaping/maintenance vs educating public) please indicate when applying.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants please forward
- cover letter/email explaining why you are interested in this position &
- resume/summary of applicable skills and work experience
via email to Samantha Tremmel, Reep Volunteer Coordinator, volunteercoordinator@Reepgreen.ca